Monday, March 8, 2021

International Women's Day

 Today is International Women's Day... a day I didn't know existed until this morning!  I know our world has been shaped by many important women.  From early suffragists to current trailblazers, women have impacted society.  I think that the most important women in our lives - in my life - are the normal, ordinary women we meet every day.  We should celebrate those women... too.

I think back to the women who have made me who I am today, and there are quite a few women who have left their mark.  Some have made a positive impact and others... not so much.  I have been blessed to have such wonderful everyday, ordinary, hard-working women to celebrate.

My sweet mama was the biggest influence in my life.  To say that I miss her is a complete understatement... it's like saying you miss air when you can't breathe.  My mama showed me how to put others first, how to always see the best in situations, and how even when things are stacked against you, you keep pushing forward.  She showed me to be a mom, how to be a teacher and how to choose kindness.  I can only hope to be the kind of person... the kind of human she was.

My tough as nails grandma was the second biggest female influence in my life.  She showed me that women can be tough, yet soft.  She showed me to stand up for what I want and that is ok if some people don't like you.  She showed me how to cultivate friendship, how to eat chocolate with pleasure, and that butter in food makes it taste so yummy. My Grandma was an amazing lady!

Other people have helped me along the way.  My Auntie, my mom's sister, showed me that even through the loss of 2 children, your sister and your husband you can still smile.  She showed me how to love a sibling with all your heart, and how to find the fun in all things.  My sweet 21-year-old niece has shown me that even with the loss of her mother at a young age, goals are attainable and hard work pays off.  This girl is going places and I am honored to know her.  I can't wait to see what her future holds. Finally, my mother in law who recently has lost her daughter, her best friend and is battling cancer shows me that I can overcome anything.  That putting one foot in front of the over, doing what needs to be done, and finding laughter in dark times will make any situation easier. 

There are many others who I know or have known that have left their mark.  The women I work with every day prove that women can do anything.  I am so impressed with their collective effort to ensure that our students are receiving the best education that we can give them.  The resiliency, adaptability, and perseverance that my team of teachers has shown since last March is amazing!  What a great group of women.  I am impressed with the next generation of women... the young girls in my classes (currently and in prior years). They are kind, driven, hard-working, and can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. We are in for a real treat when they become adults!

Throughout the world, every day, there are great women stepping up to the plate.  They are working, caring for their families, giving all they have to everyone.  They are the heroes of International Women's Day! Kudos to all the ladies out there! 

3 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to the women who have made you YOU! May you feel their powerful today on this day to celebrate all women!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about this holiday until this moment but I do celebrate it along with you. I appreciate your "list" of powerful women who have overcome many losses and difficult times. These strong women have given you strength and a backbone that will allow you to continue to live and grow as a strong woman yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute to the strong and influential women in your life! I also had a “tough as nails” grandmother. It’s like to comes with the job description.. or at least in their generation! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...