Friday, March 12, 2021

17 year olds

One positive outcome of the pandemic is that I was afforded the extra time to spend with my then 16 and 19-year-old sons.  I will treasure the extra time spent with them... it was a gift that I would not have had in a normal year.  Since August, I have not had the same amount of time with my boys.  My oldest went back to college and is now about four hours away.  My youngest is back at school and so am I.

Once school resumed in October, I have been busier than ever learning to navigate teaching virtually and face to face at the same time.  I haven't had the energy to sit and talk and am often asleep by the time he is ramping up.  I really began to miss the talks, the closeness, or even just sitting side by side watching a silly show.

Yesterday, I was needed a favor from my now 17-year-old. I was taking the chicken brooder and supplies back to my classroom and I needed his car and his muscles.  After some negotiating, we brought the supplies back to school.  Now, he hasn't been inside my school, his old elementary school, since last year.  We have made some changes to the school since he was last here.  Our new principal added these wonderful pictures from a national gallery.  These pictures are all of children from the Middle East. Most are very poignant, often evoking sadness, and at the very least causes you to pause and look at them.  We have around 100 or so of these pictures... they are on every hall.

His first reaction was "What are those"? "Why are they here?" "They are a little creepy".  Then he began to discuss the pictures.  He immediately understood why a school would want to show those pictures.  He just couldn't understand WHY his old school would want to.  In his 17-year-old very idealistic mind he just didn't see how it would make a difference.  Listening to his thought process play out, I was amazed at how intelligent he is.  He could see it from all angles.  He saw why the school wanted to expose the kids to the pictures.  He knew that showing the faces of kids who were less fortunate was important.  He feared that we were over generalizing the situation... that not all kids in these countries looked like that.  He talked about how he used to think all of Africa was poor when in fact there are countries that have wealth.  Didn't we need some pictures of US kids in poverty so they could compare that? He talked about how 99% of the kids just look at the pictures and don't pay much attention to the situation. The conversation went on and on and on!  It was fascinating and he made some very valid points.

That car ride was a gift.  A gift to see his mind working, to have more than a few word conversation, and a chance to learn from him.  I know today, I looked at the pictures differently.  I wondered how I can ensure that the students "see" them for what they are.  How can I incorporate that young idealism into my classroom?  Lots of thoughts today for me... all after a chance to talk to my youngest.

Now, in all seriousness, some of the conversations were pure kid.  Like... why are all the walls brown?  It's an elementary school - shouldn't they be orange or pink?  Why would you want the school to be so modern?  Shouldn't it be happy and bright? I got nothing to say to that... he is right again! 😀

3 comments:

  1. Your car ride was a gift....as all care rides with out almost adult-ish children are opportunities to talk and no where it escape! His comments about his old school say to me that he just wanted it to remain the way it was when he was there - back in the old days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You perfectly expressed how these special moments with our teens are so important and good for the soul! I am so happy you had the chance to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to connect- car rides are truly a gift, no matter what the age of our children. I love how he noted a few details about your school, too. Makes me think... kids should be a part of the decisions when "redecorating" a school. Why not go right to the "source"?

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...