Thursday, March 19, 2020

A fond memory....

I was inspired yesterday by a slice that I read that talked about memories.  The kind that brings you comfort when the going gets tough.  So I decided to take a minute and go down memory lane a bit....

Which memory should I share? The ones where my kids were born?  Those first few moments when I saw my boys for the first time memories? Should I share the memory of my wedding? Like the one where the videographer's camera broke and we waited for 30 plus minutes to start?  Yeah, nothing like helping a bride's nerves right?!? Or should I share the memory of my first-day teaching? The one where I was a young 20 something, petite high school history teacher and sitting in the front row was the center for the football team? Thank goodness he was a giant teddy bear! Ahhh, the memories....

So I will share a small snippet of a childhood memory..... My parents were older when they had me.  They were both 41 and my brothers were graduated and graduating from high school.  So, I never had siblings at home....just the abstract older brothers that came home from college or the military.  Being the only girl, I was the quintessential princess (if you know me you aren't surprised)... pretty clothes, pretty hair. I was a good student, quiet, focused and eager to please.  Well..... one year I qualified to be on a TV show, a quiz kids kinda show.  I studied with my group of fellow contestants, my mom quizzed me relentlessly, I was ready.  I got a new outfit (of course, I did!), went to the "beauty parlor" and had my hair "done".  I was all set. My parents drove me into downtown Pittsburgh.  My brother flew in and surprised us at the studio.  My grandparents and aunt were there.  I was ready....until the lights came on and I froze.  Like I literally was a deer in headlights!  I couldn't seem to press the button.  The worst thing was, I could see my mom looking at me like "hello, you know this...we just study this"  Needless to say, we lost!  I was not destined to be a TV star or ever compete in any kind of competition again.  Oh well....

Memories bring us comfort in uncertain times.  Whether they are funny, comforting, awe-inspiring, or sad, memories are the fabric that joins us together.  The thing that shapes who we are, who we will be in the future....they make us into ourselves.  I know I would not be who I am today without the things that I have done and been through in my life.  Each experience (just a memory now) shaped me to be who I am at this moment in time. Obviously, I am not a TV star!!


1 comment:

  1. I did "Reach For the Top" in HS. that's a Canadian quiz bowl TV show. My team's philosophy was that if we didn't know the answer, we'd make a joke. It backfired on us once. When the match was over the producer told us that he wasn't going to air the show because, although we won, it looked as if we were making fun of the other team. We sopped trying to be funny after that.

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...