Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Chickens

 It has occurred to me that chickens are just like kids. Seriously, they are eerily similar... not only in stages of life but in maturity and attitude.  My class raises chickens, and I have been involved in this project for about 5 years.  So, I am somewhat of a chicken expert.... at least for their first 16 or so weeks of life. 

Chicks, like babies, start out all wobbly and dependent on someone to give them food.  They need marbles in their water, just like babies drink from a bottle. Baby chicks start out on baby chick starter food, just like infants eat baby food.  Baby chicks are loud and fussy when they are hot, or hungry... you guessed it, just like babies.  

Toddler chicks are ornery and begin to explore.  They chest bump each other, they push the weaker chicken out of the way, and establish a pecking order.  Sounds a lot like what happens in the toddler room at a daycare... someone is pulling hair, or biting, another kid is pushing someone, and they are establishing who is the dominant kid. 

Elementary-age chicks are learning new things... how to fly, how to roost, how to give themselves a dust bath.  They no longer need marbles and can begin to eat treats.  At this stage, chicks can go outside more on their own... they no longer need the safety of the brooder.  They can spend stretches of time exploring and begin to learn the pattern of life -  rise when the sun is up and head into the coop for bed when the sun goes down. Sounds very similar to the life of an elementary-aged kid.  Kids can spend more time on their own, they have learned the basic ins and out of what is needed to survive, and they spend a lot of time playing with their friends.

Now preteens/teenager chicks are the trouble makers.  These are the chicks that play keep away from each other, they do a lot more chest-bumping, and raising their hackle feathers.  Roosters and Hens are clearly defined.  You can see who the dominant rooster is and often have to separate the roosters.  Rooster fighting is no joke - lots of blood involved! Roosters begin to announce their arrival every morning and honestly, they crow every time they see anyone near.  Hens begin to establish who is the lead hen.  Additionally, the chicks begin to show the humans in their lives that they are growing up and should give them some space. This is the time when my kids come inside fussing about how this hen pecked him or this rooster "bit" her.  Teenagers and preteens are the same. This is the time when cliques are solidified, fights occur more, and they let everyone know that they know it all.  Clearly defined popular groups are established with a clear human "pecking" order.

Chicks and kids go through so many of the same things.  I imagine we could trace the same changes for dogs or other animals.  I just have more experience with chicks and kids! Thank goodness, kids do not grow as quickly as chicks.  I don't think any parent could survive 18 weeks until their kid was fully grown.  

3 comments:

  1. I used to raise chickens, and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip through memory lane as I read your post. There are definite developmental stages even for chicks! Really fun descriptions here that bring the personalities of your chicks to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your post and will return later to read it again! Great descriptions here! One Easter, my grandfather bought us three chickens. My sisters and I loved them. He made a coop and pen for them. When we spent the weekends, they followed us around the yard, sat in our laps, ate a lot of treats. Unfortunately, they all turned out to be roosters, and we had to give them away to a nearby farmer. Love your comparisons: They can spend stretches of time exploring and begin to learn the pattern of life - rise when the sun is up and head into the coop for bed when the sun goes down. All your stages are right on - from babies to teenagers. Brava! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! We had chickens until our coyote population increased, and hawks began picking them off one by one. This is one of my favorite parts: they do more chest-bumping, and raising their hackle feathers. I feel like I raise my hackle feathers sometimes when I go late for lunch. And now I have a new way to describe the need to eat: my hackle feathers are rising.

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...