Thursday, March 4, 2021

Company's Coming

 Life is starting to slowly return to normal. Or at least it feels as if it is on the cusp of some normalcy.  It has been almost a year since the world abruptly stopped for so many of us.... for some people it has been even longer.  I have been reading my blog posts from last year with my classes.  It has been so surreal to read... such raw emotions.  The kids had so many stories about their experiences, what they remembered and how life is different.  It is almost like all of us have PTSD - or a mild form of it.

I have noticed how things that we couldn't fathom happening or getting used to are normal to us now.  Sometimes, I don't remember that I have a mask on and will get in the car and be miles down the road before I realize it.  A year ago, I would have never expected that to happen.  It is automatic for me to put hand sanitizer on when I get in the car after shopping or school.  I have washed my hands or put on hand sanitizer so much in the last year!  Who would have thought that we would carry hand sanitizer or Chlorox wipes with us everywhere... but we do!

We have begun to create a new normal.  It is normal to wear a mask... it is even almost weird to see someone's entire face.  It is normal to keep a safe distance from everyone... we even create more space if we feel uncomfortable.  It is normal to eat more dinners at home, to shop online, and to have zoom happy hours.  We have chosen to rise above Covid, to create routines that help us to get what we need from life and survive.

But change is on the horizon.  The vaccine is helping and as more people get the vaccine, the quicker we can return to what once was... or a version of that.  I can see it in my own family.  My in-laws had both vaccines and immediately scheduled a trip to see us.  It has been here in over a year since they have traveled.  My brother and sister-in-law received both vaccines and are coming to visit this week.  I haven't seen them since December of 2019.  I am so excited to have this little bit of normalcy. 

The store shelves are stocked with paper towels and toilet paper.  Who would have ever thought how exciting that would be?! Lyson is getting easier to find.  People don't feel the need to hoard these items as they once did.   It's not much but it is a little bit of normal... and we all need it. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the memories of how long and far we have come are flooding back as the one year anniversary comes upon us. I'm glad you are starting to reach a some "herd protection" among your family. We are not there yet....but I am confident it will happen in the months to come...

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...