Saturday, March 28, 2020

It Finally Happened....

The majority of my family are big work out buffs.  We all have a different "thing" that we like to do....I lean towards more cardio and organized workouts, like Beachbody or my Max Trainer, my husband lifts and runs and my youngest has been hitting the gym hard.  My oldest, well he doesn't have the love for working out like the rest of us do...he's an I am gonna start working out soon kinda person. (Who can't relate to that!)

With social distancing and the county's suggestion that we shelter in place, we have been anticipating my son's gym will close.  This week the gym changed their hours and limited to ten people.  If you were the eleventh than you have to wait until someone leaves.  The system seemed to be working out well, until yesterday.  Yesterday the announcement was made that the gym would close effective today (Saturday) and remain closed until at least April 6th.  Who knows if that date will hold true or not?

Drew was very disappointed... the gym has been his outlet, he has made amazing progress and the joy it brings is immeasurable.  So my husband in all his infinite wisdom suggested that we get the home gym out of the basement storage space.  Now, this gym has been down there since we moved into this house in 2007... yes, you read that right!  It has been in a closet since our realtor gave it to us 13 years ago.  This gym is a beast... it takes up lots of space and is pretty heavy to carry.

Our relaxing Friday night turned into building this gym.  The boys helped their dad carry the pieces upstairs.  The previous owners of this gym had taken some pieces apart and others were left together.  That in itself is a challenge, it is hard to read the stupid directions anyway but now we have to figure out what has been done and what needs to be done.  Needless to say, this is a lesson in patience and reading closely. 

We made good progress until about 3/4th of the way through when we began to attach the pull - up bars and the dip bars.  We have been working on this for about two hours and it is around 9PM.  My husband has been on and off work calls, and my oldest is trying to register for classes all while putting this thing together.  Anyway, back to the bars... in all the pieces and all the boxes there are not any screws and bolts for these bars.  We look high and low, we crawl through the nasty storage space, try to take out screws that probably don't need to be taken out and we come up empty-handed.  The most important pieces are missing! They have vanished and we are stuck with a giant machine that doesn't work. 

Everyone is frustrated, so we stop for the night.  Being the type A Mom that I am, I immediately look through the directions and the parts list and make a list of the missing parts.  I then google the equipment and locate the parts....except they won't get here until April 27th and they cost over one hundred dollars.  I head back to my search, and head straight for Amazon...they have everything.  Nope, they do not have parts for this. What to do? What to do?  The boys head for their rooms, my husband tries to find something to watch and I grab my book.  We have decided that tomorrow will bring answers.

Well, its tomorrow... so far I haven't found the parts but I did find an idea. I am pretty sure I can find these parts at Home Depot. Now, I don't know for sure but it is something.  It is a glimmer of hope... isn't that we all need? Just a glimmer of hope.....


2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for a Home Depot miracle! Everyone needs an outlet and a glimmer of hope these days - I enjoyed reading about your family's. We are very closes to getting our stationary bike set up again, too, especially since this week looks like lots of rain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well shoot! I was sure you were going to find those missing bits. I am also sending good vibes that Home Depot will have what you need. I am like your oldest son but have taken up online exercise classes to battle boredom as much as to battle too much sitting. Let us know if HD comes to your rescue.

    ReplyDelete

This is it...

 Wow! I don't think a person realizes how quickly time moves until you are taking note of the days.  I completed a burpee challenge in F...